Wednesday, September 13, 2006
Sheeps Be Everywhere...Are EWE One of Them?
All around me I hear the bleating....
baaaah baaaaaaaaaah baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah....
Results of a recent Zogby poll:
* "Allowing video surveillance of public places" -- Overall, 80% are comfortable with this. The difference among the parties was minimal.
* "Allowing your purse, handbag, briefcase, backpack, or packages to be searched at random anywhere" -- This was far more controversial. About half of Dems and independents would tolerate this, but two-thirds of Republicans (66%) said they'd favor this method.
* "Allowing regular roadblocks to search vehicles" -- Here, Dems and independents started to balk, with support dropping to around 40%, but Republicans thought this was fine too, with 62% supporting the tactic.
* "Allowing your car to be searched at random" -- Again, Dems and independents were uncomfortable with this (support in the mid 30s), but Republicans still gave this the thumbs-up, with 60% support.
* "Allowing your telephone conversations to be monitored" -- Dems and independents continued to resist, but 56% of Republicans said this would be alright with them.
* "Allowing your mail to be searched at random" -- This one did the worst among all groups, but still about half (49%) of Republicans said they'd favor this method.
And MOST ATONISHINGLY, at least to me...
*Do you agree or disagree that there was a connection between Saddam Hussein and the 9/11 terror attacks?
OVER-ALL DEM GOP IND
Agree 46 32 65 39
Disagree 50 65 30 56
When did America become a nation of Sheeple? If you had polled these same people a decade ago about their civil liberties the numbers would have been radically different. Now I know "9/11 changed everything..." but if we are so willing to give up our freedoms because the terrorists hate us for them, then we don't deserve that flag we wrap ourselves in.